This weekend was filled with relaxation, walks around the city, mill valley shopping with Anne from City Sage and LOTS of sunshine – summer finally decided to come to SF! I couldn’t have asked for a better weekend.
Today I’m very very excited to have the wonderfully inspiring Fallon from A Lovely Being. Her blog inspires me with the quotes she finds, her “this day in history” posts, and the ultra beautiful images she finds. It’s one of my go-to blogs each and every morning, so if you haven’t read it before, I highly suggest you pop over.
Thank you Fallon for an amazing post – I’m off to go buy the CD you recommended!
ps. Be sure to stop by later today. I’ll be sharing the first (of many) posts about New York.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Hello! I am elated to be guest blogging today on Sacramento Street. Caitlin’s “10 Things That Make Me Happy” series is one of my favorites, and I am so honored that she asked me to contribute. Shall we begin?
1. When I was in 5th grade, I dressed up as Marilyn Monroe for Halloween. My mom spent hours putting together a fabulous costume for me made up of vintage finds. The cream fur stole that was a originally part of this ensemble is now a staple in my wardrobe. I find that hilarious! But really, is there anything better than vintage fur?
2 My favorite CD at the moment is She & Him, Volume 2. I’m not afraid to say that I have the biggest girl crush on Zooey Deschanel (my boyfriend has a big crush on her, too!). She is absolutely adorable. And what talent! I love the retro sound of this album– I could listen to it for days on end.
3. I printed out this photo of Elizabeth Bauer’s home (originally published in Lonny’s June/July issue) and tacked it to my bedroom wall. There isn’t anything that I don’t LOVE about this room. From the D. Porthault bed linens to the Rose Cumming “Zebrine” wallpaper– I’m obsessed.
4. My favorite little luxury is Kiehl’s “Ultimate Man” Body Scrub Soap. Normally, I would never purchase products marketed towards men– I’m far too swayed by girly packaging and presentation. But on a whim I decided to purchase this bar of soap… by golly, I’m hooked! Because it is an exfoliator, it leaves my skin feeling so very soft. At $12, it’s a bit pricey for a bar of soap but I simply can’t live without it.
5. My secret celebrity crush, you ask? None other than Mr. Ira Glass (don’t laugh!). My Sunday night ritual involves making myself a cup of herbal tea, snuggling up in my bed with my computer and listening to the newest episode of This American Life. Nothing in this world makes me quite so happy
6. Confession: I have the most unruly hair! When I was seventeen, my dad couldn’t stand to look at my tangled “rat’s nest” (those are his words, not mine) anymore. So, he broke down and bought me a Mason Pearson brush for my birthday. I’ve had silky smooth strands every since (thanks, Dad!). The fantastic thing about a Mason Pearson brush is that it lasts forever so long as you take care of it. Five years later, mine is still going strong.
7. Although his clothing will never be more than eye candy to me (for now), I’m thrilled that Tom Ford is designing womenswear again. I am just DYING to see his latest collection! Though the line won’t be unveiled until December, headshots of the models in his top-secret runway show (the likes of which included Beyonce and Daphne Guinness) somehow leaked to the press. I encourage you to read more about his reentry into women’s fashion– it’s fascinating!
8. My classic go-to bag is this vintage Louis Vuitton Mini Looping tote. Maybe Louis Vuitton is passé, but I adore this bag. It’s the perfect day-to-night accessory, and it is unbelievably durable (trust– it has been stepped on and thrown about more times than you’d believe!).
9. I love love love vintage design books and magazines. Someday, I hope to have an entire library of Vogue’s and Harper’s Bazaar’s from the ‘40s, ‘50s, and ‘60s. I’d also love to have every issue of Flair (as there are only a dozen issues, I’m hoping to achieve this task by the time I turn 25…). There is so much to learn from the great tastemakers of the past.
10. I’m in the process of moving back to Kansas City, and I couldn’t be more excited. Kansas City is a lovely little town. My siblings are my best friends (I’m the oldest of four– two of them are still living at home)… I’m thrilled to be able to hang out with them whenever I should so choose : )