on the menu: vegetarian pho

On cold winter nights I always crave a good soup – usually I’m in the mood for Out the Doors Chicken Pho (it’s spectacular). I’ve always wondered if I could make it on my own, but haven’t had the courage until I came across this recipe for vegetarian pho which seems quite simple. Here’s the recipe . . .

Ingredients:

2 cups shredded Napa or Savoy cabbage
2 cups fresh mung bean or soybean sprouts
1/2 cup fresh chopped green onions
1/2 cup roughly chopped or torn Thai basil
1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
1 lime, cut into wedges for garnish
Optional for serving: sliced fresh jalapenos, Maggi seasoning, extra soy sauce, Sriracha, hot garlic chili sauce

Directions:
For the broth -
- Place the first 12 ingredients in a large soup pot with a lid. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and then reduce temperature and simmer mostly covered for 1 1/2 hours. Strain through a fine mesh colander to get all the bits out. Return the broth to the pot and bring back to temp over medium heat.

To assemble the soup -
- Cook the rice noodles according to the package – as a default method, cook the noodles in boiling water for 3-4 minutes until tender, drain and rinse with some cool water quickly to stop the cooking. Drain these thoroughly. Evenly distribute the noodles and cabbage between the serving bowls. Ladle the hot broth over the noodles. Top each bowl with some sprouts, basil, cilantro, a sprinkle of green onions and some lime. Serve immediately.

Doesn’t this sound delicious? It’s definitely going to be on the menu later this week since rain is in the forecast!

Bon appétit!

9 responses to on the menu: vegetarian pho

• Leslie says:

That sounds really yummy! A great dish for winter.

• Sarah Klassen says:

This looks and sounds delicious, Caitlin! I need to print off some of these great recipes that you share.

Hope you are having a wonderful week so far…

x
    Sarah

• Crystal @ Plush Palate says:

Yum! I love this…definitely going to try it. P.S. Let's go to Out the Door for a lunch date :)

• Sam says:

I going to try it tonight thanks for recipe Taxi Natomas

• Designs Good says:

mmm, i love pho!

• Kinga says:

I am trying this recipe this weekend and I cannot wait! Thanks for sharing…pho real!

• Jaclyn says:

This sounds so good and really comforting.

• Je says:

I LOVE that we live near each other (I'm near Cali & Lyon) and you just posted about your fav pho place (I'm assuming you go to the one on Bush). I moved here seven months ago from Seattle and pho is everywhere and an every week thing there, but I haven't found the best place ever yet in SF. I'm SO going to Out The Door as soon as I'm back from the holidays.
    P.S. I just subscribed to your blog as a recommendation from Kate at Undeniable Style cause I'm on a search for other SF bloggers! Excited to follow my neighbor blogger. :) xoxo

• articulateart says:

Lovely! Haven't had this in awhile!