On the Menu: Tangy Kale Caesar Salad

After everything I ate this past Sunday – it’s going to be a week (maybe month) of healthy eating. When Susan of Peas and Love and I were planning this months recipes I knew a salad would be in order this week. We wanted to reinvent a classic that everyone loves – a caesar salad. I’ve always loved caesar salad, but since the dressing isn’t healthy I try to not order it too often. Well friends, Susan’s spin on this favorite is delicious, tasty and healthy – can I get a “woot woot”?  This is going to be my new lunch staple!

Tangy Kale Caesar Salad

To make Croutons:
3 pieces of sliced bread, cut up into small pieces
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 tsp Paprika
Dashes of Salt and Pepper

On a baking sheet, lay down bread pieces and drizzle over oil, coating all the bread well. Sprinkle over paprika, salt and pepper and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until browned. Turn off heat, set aside and let cool.

To make the dressing:
1 cup Raw Cashews, soaked for 2 hours minimum, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup fresh water
Juice of 1 Lemon
1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce

Blend all ingredients together until a smooth puree forms. Add drops of water to thin out if necessary, until desired consistency is achieved.

In a bowl, combine 2 cups of chopped Lacinato Kale (stems discarded). Add in baked croutons and sprinkle in a tablespoon of sesame seeds. Pour dressing in, and mix well until all the leaves are coated. Serve and enjoy!

Recipe & Food Prep by Susan Whang / Photography & Styling by Caitlin Flemming

9 responses to On the Menu: Tangy Kale Caesar Salad

• Tine says:

HUNGRY now ;)

• Brianna says:

This dressing looks inSANE and easy. YUMMMM!

• patricia says:

I am definitely going to try this!

• Julie says:

Sounds so delicious!!! Can’t wait to try it.

• yay- it looks good indeed, if i do say so myself:)
    xxO

• Patricia says:

This recipe looks delicious, but not sure why the original Caesar is”unhealthy”. Done properly, why are cashews more healthy than olive oil and anchovies- one of the great umami tastes.. I mean why leave in the bread croutons?

• Patricia says:

And garlic? A Caesar. Without garlic? Are you kidding?

• Patricia- you could totally TOTALLY drop a clove of garlic into the mix, and puree away for a garlicky zing. Great idea!

• One more thing:)
    Patricia- valid points you make! As Caitlin prefaces, this is just a creative interpretation of a classic without the use of dairy and cheese which are sources of saturated fats. The croutons are a healthier version indeed because they are baked with a drizzle of olive oil, not to mention- if one uses gluten-free bread, even better and definitely more healthy indeed!
    xoS