Getaway: Zero George Hotel in Charleston

Where do I even begin? Charleston had been on my list of places to visit for quite some time. When I received an invitation to go back to High Point Market in April I knew this was my chance to take a road trip down to South Carolina. My travel companion Grant and I rented a car and took to the southern highways – there may have been a stop at Bojangles and Sonic. As we drove into Charleston I knew we had made the right decision to take a few extra days off to enjoy this beautiful city.

First and foremost, we stayed at a small boutique hotel – the Zero George that was charming, beautifully decorated and the beds were so comfy I didn’t want to get out of bed in the morning. We made friends with other hotel guests over complimentary breakfast and wine in the evening – they were from San Francisco and live a few blocks from our neighborhood (small world!). The Zero George is located right in the middle of town so it’s easy to walk to everything – shops restaurants and Church Street.

Now, onto the food . . . I don’t even know where to begin! I left Charleston saying it’s some of the best food I’ve ever had. I know that’s a big statement since I live in SF. but it was delicious! I have to be honest, Grant and I had done tons of restaurant research before we left and booked dinners, but the first night in Charleston we went to Fig (amazing) and sat at the bar. We just so happened to sit next to two general managers of The Ordinary. After chatting them up about what to do in the city they gave us a detailed food plan for the rest of our trip. I think without that we wouldn’t have had the same experience. Here is where they suggested:

Two Boroughs Larder (for lunch)

- The Ordinary (for dinner) the oyster sliders are a MUST! This is hands down one of the best places I’ve eaten!

- Xiao Bao Biscuit (for lunch) order one of everything but definitely get the Okonomiyaki and Mapo Dofou.

- Fig (for dinner)

- The Peninsula Grill for the coconut cake.

This entire list has me hungry! I’m already planning another trip to Charleston for next April – I can’t wait to go back and discover more charming places to see and eat. I highly recommend adding this to your list of places to travel in the near future!

Photos by Caitlin Flemming

10 responses to Getaway: Zero George Hotel in Charleston

• Amanda says:

I love Charleston – such a beautiful historic city. Next time you are there make sure to check out McGradys and Husk.

• I am DYING to stay in this hotel. It’s just so lovely!

• Lauren says:

My husband and I went to Charleston for the first time this past March and loved it! FIG was amazing — the food (of course), but also the service. Next time, be sure to check out Butcher & Bee for lunch and Poe’s Tavern on Sullivan’s Island.

• Lauren says:

I LOVE Charleston! Reading this makes me want to go back immediately! I love that you stopped at Bojangles, a southern must!

• Dee says:

I loved Charlston when I visited there a few springs ago. I attended their House & Garden tour which is held every spring; a fun chance to poke your head into 5 or so houses. One house was stunning, they had placed a new kitchen into a renovated stable- exposed brick walls, super tall ceilings, it was stunning.
    I’m sorry I missed Sullivan Island but it gives me an excuse to return.
    Thanks for all the foodie places and beautiful hotel!
    Dee

• Caroline says:

I recently visited Charleston and fell in love, I’m originally from SF, live in NYC now, but could honestly see myself living there!

We also went to Fig, The Ordinary, and Two Borough’s Larder, amazing. Add to your list for next time: Husk, Butcher and Bee for lunch, The Grocery for Brunch, and Cru Cafe. Can’t go wrong. Also The Belmont was a fun place for specialty cocktails!

• Ah! I need that gold lamp!! Love Charleston, I’ll be there on Friday and can’t wait!

• Lynn Easton says:

My husband, Dean, and I own Zero George….and we are so pleased to be featured on your blog! Your pictures are gorgeous and do a lovely job of reflecting Zero George. Your restaurant recommendations are spot on! Come back and see us again!! Lynn

• rachel ward says:

Hello,
    I’m new to your blog, stumbled upon it via Pinterest.
    Man, I ate at Fig so many years ago, but I have never forgotten the lovely meal I had there. It was a vegetable tasting menu and I really appreciated it’s simplicity.
    Great choice :)
    I’ll be snooping around some more, now.
    RW

• Heath says:

Such great recommendations! Next time don’t miss Cru Cafe. If it’s nice outside, sit on the porch and have glass of white wine with lunch it’s the best. And definitely try the mac and cheese, it’s a favorite! I went to school in Charleston and absolutely love it there.

Heath of Southland Avenue