I’ve been getting a lot of questions centered around Jackson’s bedroom makeover – especially the way I layered his bed. By the end of each day it never looks like put together – the pillows are usually on the floor. I wanted a layered bed that is inviting and fun.
I started with Coyuchi flannel sheets (in white) and let me tell you, they are the softest most wonderful sheets I have ever touched. They are perfect way to lure Jackson out of his crib and into his big boy bed, which he still doesn’t sleep in but we are trying. The cozy cotton bed cover, organic striped pillow cover, and wool blanket at the end of the bed (a favorite for chilly nights) are all from Coyuchi. The quality of their products is unsurpassed and they are my go-to source for bedding.
Many of you have been asking about the headboard – one of my personal favorites in his room. I had envisioned being able to switch out different textiles on his bed – maybe a vintage indigo piece, etc. I found beautiful products at Hollywood at Home to add the layers of texture and interest to the bed. Probably my favorite change to the bed is the hand-loomed wool bed cover from India that I placed on the headboard. It not only adds texture, but gives the bed more depth. I also couldn’t resist a pillow made of Peter Dunham fabric that depicts a world map. Travel is such an important part of our lives and it finishes off the bed perfectly.
- Begin with a nice pair of sheets. You can use plain sheets or pattern – it really depends on your taste and what you’re trying to achieve.
- I like to use a bedcover that is easy to care for – believe it or not – white bedcovers are easy to wash and always look fresh and clean.
- Consider choosing a variety of pillows. I think this is where you can really play. I often change the pillows seasonally.
- If you want to add more texture and interest to a bed, think about using a unique vintage textile or something more unique than the linens you are sleeping with.
- Don’t forget comfort. The most beautiful bed also needs to be comfortable. We got Jackson a Helix mattress and it’s been so dreamy. Not only that, it was delivered to our home in a box! So easy to unpack and use.
Photos for Caitlin Flemming Design by Spotted SF