It’s been months since the last recipe post – it’s been a whirlwind spring and I figured since a new season is beginning it was time I bring back a weekly recipe. This recipe is deceptively easy and incredibly delicious. The key is to use fresh ingredients – that’s why I’ve been making it a habit to try to get them at the farmers market each week. You can’t beat the fresh produce they have available. After making this once, it’s been on regular rotation every week.
– asparagus spears (2 to 3per slice of bread)
- juice of ½ lemon
- rind of one lemon
- sea salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- multi-grain bread
- goat cheese
1. Wash and trim asparagus – pat dry. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
2. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 to 12 minutes (until tender).
3. Meanwhile, prepare the toast. Spread with goat cheese.
4. Place asparagus spears on top of the toast.
5. Sprinkle with sumac* and lemon rind.
*A spice you can find in Middle East stores and sometimes the supermarket. It’s made with a rich and mild red pepper and has a hint of lemon.
Photo by Caitlin Flemming